Blue Sky Insurance (also known as Blue Sky Coverage) is an online insurance brokerage that helps connect drivers with the best rates. It has search tools for car insurance as well as motorcycle insurance, RV insurance, and boat insurance. It works with a network of top insurance companies from around the United States to connect its users to the best policies for their needs.
Pros and Cons
Like other online insurance marketplaces, the main reason to use Blue Sky is to save time and money. Blue Sky Coverage’s platform helps users compare policies from top insurers in a couple of minutes, saving the user the hours it normally takes to run a market comparison from scratch. All the user needs to do is fill out a short online form and presto: Blue Sky Coverage’s website displays the best results.
The main caveat users should be aware of is that Blue Sky Coverage is not a direct insurance provider. Blue Sky Coverage exists to help users find the cheapest vehicle coverage for their location, vehicle, and circumstances. However, Blue Sky Coverage doesn’t actually provide or underwrite the insurance – that is the job of its extensive network of partners.
Types of Auto Insurance
Being an insurance marketplace, Blue Sky Coverage gives its users access to top insurers offering all the standard forms of vehicle coverage.
- Liability. Comprises bodily injury liability, covering injury-related expenses when you are at fault in an accident; and property damage liability, covering damage to other people’s property when you are at fault in an accident.
- Collision. Pays for repair or replacement of your own vehicle when it is damaged in a collision with another vehicle, no matter who was at fault.
- Comprehensive. Pays for repair or replacement of your own vehicle when it is damaged in a non-collision incident such as vandalism, theft, weather incidents, or hitting an animal.
- Personal injury protection / Medical payments. This is a type of coverage that is compulsory in some states. It covers injuries to you and anyone else in your vehicle at the time of a crash, no matter who was at fault.
- Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist. Covers bodily injury and property damage liabilities if you’re in an accident with a motorist who doesn’t have a sufficient level of insurance.
Many of Blue Sky Coverage’s insurance partners offer additional features. There are dozens of different types of paid add-ons in the car insurance industry. Following is a list of some of the add-ons and features found through Blue Sky Coverage’s network.
- Roadside Assistance. Covers things like towing, tire change, jump-start, emergency fuel delivery, lock-out service, and vehicle extraction if your car breaks down or gets stuck out on the highway.
- Gap coverage. Covers the gap between the remaining balance on your loan or lease and your car’s value after an accident.
- Rideshare Coverage. Covers drivers while they’re on the clock for Uber or another approved ride-sharing company.
- Equipment coverage. Covers repair or replacement of damaged or stolen equipment that you installed in your car (as opposed to equipment installed by the manufacturer, which is covered under collision and comprehensive insurance).
How to Apply
Like most insurance search tools, Blue Sky Coverage asks users to fill in basic information about themselves, their vehicle, and other policy holders before displaying rates. Once you complete the form, Blue Sky will give you the opportunity to compare rates and select your favored insurance provider. It may also share your contact details with other insurers in your network.
Be ready to provide the following details:
- Vehicle information: Includes year, make, model, trim, and vehicle ownership status. Add information for yourself and any other vehicles being added to the policy.
- Driver information: Includes estimated daily mileage and yearly mileage, state where you are licensed, gender, birthdate, education level, occupation, credit rating, home ownership, and disclosures about SR-22 or SR-1 filing requirements. Add information about yourself and any other drivers on the policy.
- Policy information: Nominate the level of desired coverage (state minimum, basic, standard, or superior) and your preferred level of deductible for comprehensive, collision, and medical coverage. Give details of your current insurer if you have one, including name, policy expiration date, and how long you’ve had continuous coverage.
- The last step is contact details, including name, email, phone number, address, and zip code.
Filing a Claim
As mentioned, Blue Sky Coverage is a car insurance comparison tool and not a direct underwriter. Claims must be filed directly with your insurer. Most of Blue Sky Coverage’s partnering insurers let their customers file claims using one or more of the following methods: phone, email, uploading documentation online, or uploading documentation via mobile app.
Blue Sky Coverage is an entirely online operation. Unfortunately, it doesn’t advertise any phone support.
- Email: Direct contact form on Blue Sky website
- Address: Blue Sky Insurance Solutions, 531 Main Street Suite 902, El Segundo, CA 90245
Comparing car insurance providers is known to save drivers money on their vehicle coverage. If you’re just starting out your search, you could do worse than stop by at Blue Sky Coverage. This service is a quick, efficient, and free insurance search engine that lets users compare and qualify for multiple auto insurers with the one form. There are no obligations when using Blue Sky Coverage, although it does require that you provide your contact details. Simply fill out the short online form and wait a few seconds to see the best rates from Blue Sky’s network of third-party insurance providers.